Dementia & Weddings. Who Knew?

Monday, July 7, 2008

So. me and my sisters went to vist our demented grandmother the weekend of May 17th. with our dad, who is her son. she spent the balance of the trip thinking that our aunt (her daughter) was our dad's mother (thus thinking our aunt was our grandmother), which totally irritated my dad, but was kind of fun. it was more fun the more irritated he got, simply because the man has spent his life being a blunt instrument - unfortunately, you cant fix someone's mind by telling them to "suck it up!" finesse. gentility. understanding. these words are not a part of his vocabulary. apparently she thinks her daughter is dead, and refuses to believe otherwise, even though aunt comes by every. single. day. (and then I went and made the mistake of calling our aunt (who is my very own namesake!) "grandma" over dinner --- it was a very tense moment, in which I almost wondered if I was going to catch one of those grown people beat downs. However, my gaffe was intentionally and artfully deflected by the immediate and sudden cacophony of my sisters' loud and inane chatter. plus, they were between me and her. ;))


the old man, grams & me

The next weekend though, me and my mom kicked it with some family friends. our fam + their fam = friends since the old days. childhood buddy got married the way some people did in the old days.....at the end of a shotgun. except. there was no shotgun, no "family way," and no underage or even college age minors. instead, it tasted of the new new shotgun wedding of people who already have the house, honeymoon and car, tire of "living in sin" and decide to finally put the cart before the horse and get a judge to tie the old knot. so yeah. he called me friday night to share the news and to see if the fam could show on short notice - since mom and I were the only ones in town, I dragged her out to the celebratory dinner, where I spent the evening like all singles at marriage events - being shamelessly scrutinized like I was for sale - to which I compensated handsomely by teasing the guys and couple at my table (I've known all since childhood). something so wrong should not have felt so right, but they got me back by trying to give me the bouquet. Then I played with the children, which is always fun (actually, they ran me a little ragged, and me and all my "stuff" felt a little worse for the wear).


r to l: me (caught in the unfortunate "lean"), bride, groom, mom


And yeah. I totally rocked the same casual outfit both weekends. :D

Bookmark this post:
DiggIt! Del.icio.us Yahoo Technorati Reddit Google

0 comments:

Post a Comment