Mary, Mom & Liz Kayak the Seven Caves of La Jolla

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Ok - I was hurting (cue the Bro. Willie Bryant song right now), but I wasnt alone, and I had been down sick for just about EVERY DAY of the vacation, and I decided I wasnt going out like that.  God had allowed this sickness to happen to me, and if he wasnt going to take it away as immediately as I wanted, the very least I could do was to have a good spirit about it, and make sure that Mom and Liz's vacation wasnt covered by the palor of my pain/anger/pain/disappointment - did I say pain?

Anyway, despite the best laid plans of mice and men (mine) to jam pack the most fun into this trip as possible, and despite the tight schedule I had lined up - I was really, REALLY sick.  Like bed-ridden, fever-having, awake nights with no sleeping sick.  Still.  I had bravely mounted up to go out on afternoon "adventures" the previous days (after sleeping all morning, and getting my courage up while Mom and Liz were out all morning....having fun without me......)...because somewhere in the throes of my pain one night, I confessed to God that He was Right:  I had NO EXCUSE to complain of have a bad attitude; I had no excuse to devolve into self-pity; I had no excuse to be irritable, or to make Mom/Liz miserable or uncomfortable, just because I was uncomfortable.  And so in that moment of lucidity through the pain (I confess I am sure that I cried), I asked God to give me the strength of will and the courage to go on....and with a good spirit  (because I wanted to leave immediately after I got sick).

And he did just that.  I mean - I even surprised myself.  I know he said that he wouldnt put on us more than we could bear (I even told him that, because I was so sick I felt it was unbearable), and in that moment, he made me able to bear it - to go a little further (I asked him for that, too - because remember - Jesus went a little further).  It was all about mental toughness, and I was fresh out - I needed something extraordinary, and he came through and gave me exactly that.

So.  Come Monday - just like I planned, we went Kayaking!  :D

Bookmark this post:
DiggIt! Del.icio.us Yahoo Technorati Reddit Google

1 comments:

SisterAlto said...

I'm praying for you girl!!

Post a Comment